Friday, June 02, 2006

No One Likes Me

I was thinking the other day about this verse:
You adulterous people, don't you know that friendship with the world is hatred toward God? Anyone who chooses to be a friend of the world becomes an enemy of God. James 4:4
It wasn't that I had read it recently or anything. It came to me after I had made some effort to fit into my peer social group. I've never really felt like I belonged, but would really like to be better friends with these guys because they are my peers.

I realized, though, that my goal should not be trying to belong. It should rather be an attitude of convicted love. That is how Christ lived. He loved others, but never sacrificed his convictions, which is why he got killed. People didn't like him. He was the ultimate social reject. Even his best friends left him when his convictions really mattered.

I've seen too much of an emphasis in the Christian sphere of trying to fit into the world. I think this is wrong. Sharing the gospel is good, and being "all things to all men so that by all possible means [we] might save some" is essential. But being rejected from social groups is a good thing too. It should be rejoiced.

Blessed are you when people insult you, persecute you and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of me. Matt. 5:11

4 Comments:

At 6/02/2006 10:34 AM, Blogger Jordan said...

Thanks for the reminder, Chris. Are you talking about the navy guys? Don't feel a need to answer that. Anyway, I love you.

No one likes me either and I feel like a reject like you. That is why I like being around you...it's like the reject club.

 
At 6/02/2006 10:35 AM, Blogger Jordan said...

Are you done with your thesis yet?

 
At 6/02/2006 11:05 AM, Blogger Chris Hill said...

Yes. I just have to make final revisions (if my advisor has any for me... probably not much if any) and print everything off. So I guess the answer is really no.

Anyway, I've been in uniform since 12:30pm yesterday afternoon (working the entire time).

I love you too, you reject.

 
At 6/06/2006 5:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love you too honey! But not in the same way Jordan loves you...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home