Thursday, May 11, 2006

Welcome. Why the URL? Other...

Welcome friends. I decided to create a blog. That means that I will either be commenting more on other blogs due to more time online, or I won't. Yes, I am that insightful. The answer is yes... or no! Profound. Anyway, I will also tell you why you're reading this blog. It is for one or more of the following reasons:

1. You're my friend.
2. You know me but are not my friend.
3. You hate me.
4. Someone linked you here.
5. The blog's name intrigued you.
6. I pissed you off w/ something I said on another blog.

Whatever reason brought you here, please feel free to comment as much as you would like on anything.

Regarding the URL... I'll admit, I stole the idea of the word "mercenary" from Jordan. It was so good I just had to steal. Also, I thought it quite appropriate to my view on the Christian life. Dictionary.com defines mercenary as:

1. One who serves or works merely for monetary gain; a hireling.
2. A professional soldier hired for service in a foreign army.

First, I see myself as one who "serves or works merely for monetary gain" in the kingdom of heaven. Matt. 6:19-20 speaks of storing up treasures in heaven. Although I am an imperfect being, I strive to make God's glory the center of my life, and the afterlife my focus in what I do. If my hope is in this life, this life is worthless. Thus, I strive to work solely for heavenly treasure.

Second, I have become a professional soldier in God's Army. Matt. 11:12 says that "the kingdom of heaven suffers violence, and the violent take it by force." II Cor. 10:3 tells me that I am in this world, but do not wage war as it does. Although through Christ I have joined God's kingdom, I live in this world, and thus belong to a foreign army - an army from another land.

Christ, a foreigner to this world, has hired me to carry out his work. He is my Captain and Lord. I work to gain treasures in heaven. Thus, I am a mercernary for Christ.

...
Now for the "other." I'm debating on a name to keep for this blog. I'm open to ideas. Also, please tell me, if you could choose, what illegal drug you would be and why.

9 Comments:

At 5/12/2006 9:48 AM, Blogger Jordan said...

Ohhhh you got a blog...your parents are so proud, you grew up so fast, etc...

I think your blog name is appropriate, especially since you're a greedy mercenary in real life, just like every member of the u.s. military. Yea, I hate america so much that I didn't capitalize u.s.! Ahhhhhh! I hate myself for having nice things! AaaaAAAAaahhh. Vote for Kerry.

This is good you have a blog so you can write when I suffer from abject despair like I have been lately. Just don't forget you're still chief of staff at jamib, and it will fail without you.

 
At 5/12/2006 9:49 AM, Blogger Jordan said...

Ohh...
I would be crystal meth because it is both highly addictive and it messes people up really bad.

 
At 5/12/2006 9:50 AM, Blogger Jordan said...

Also you should have been calling me back last night instead of writing this.

 
At 5/12/2006 3:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Chris - nice blog. :)

 
At 5/12/2006 3:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok - I chose to be the drug "LAAM" because it was the closest one to my name on www.streetdrugs.org.

LAAM:
Closely related to methadone, the synthetic compound levo alphacetylmethadol, or LAAM (ORLMM®), has an even longer duration of action (from 48 to 72 hours) than methadone, permitting a reduction in frequency of use. In 1994, it was approved as a Schedule II treatment drug for narcotic addiction. Both methadone and LAAM have high abuse potential. Their acceptability as narcotic treatment drugs is predicated upon their ability to substitute for heroin, the long duration of action, and their mode of oral administration.

 
At 5/12/2006 6:58 PM, Blogger Sam said...

I see you've decided to have a blog instead of just using the comments section on Jordan's blog :). Well, that is excellent and way to quote the good book many times in your first post. As for being a drug, I think I would choose good old marijuana. It has so many different names and is a gateway drug into all the others. Also, it keeps the hippies too stoned to do any real harm.

 
At 5/13/2006 5:28 PM, Blogger Chris Hill said...

I appreciate all of your insight into drug useage. I want to give Laura a special thank you for informing me of a drug I've never heard of. Thanks, Laura. Also, Jordan, I'm so proud that you were the first to write on my blog. I changed the name again. Thoughts?

 
At 5/14/2006 11:04 PM, Blogger Jordan said...

Chris,
I think your new name is very nice. But I think everything you do is nice. Except for this whole thing with Katie. She's great but she's taking you away from me. Now I don't know who to marry.
Jordan, from gay Boston

 
At 5/22/2006 6:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

As your brother, I can definitely say that I fit into category 3. Actually, 4, but replace "someone" with "I" (as in you saying that it was "I" who referred "you" to "my" blog).

I have no idea what drug I would be. Maybe morphine...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home