Sunday, May 14, 2006

Responsible Men

My fiancee (w/ an accent on the first 'e')

and I are reading the book "Reforming Marriage," by Douglas Wilson, for our premarrital counseling. It has turned out to be the best book I've ever read on marriage, albeit one of the only ones. It's a very short read, and I recommend it even to those for whom marriage is not a current desire (or expectation). Another book I know is good but haven't read is "Recovering Biblical Manhood and Womanhood," written by John Piper and Wayne Grudem (free .pdf copy online).

Anyway, the first book had a comment I thought very convicting to me as a soon-to-be husband. Notably, I agree with it completely. Wilson says:

"Because of how God made the world, men are always responsible for everything that happens in the feminine world - whether they want that responsibility or not, and whether or not women want to acknowledge it... When a couple comes for marriage counseling, my operating assumption is always that the man is completely responsible for all the problems. Some may be inclined to react to this, but it is important to note that responsibility in not the same thing as guilt. If a woman has been unfaithful to her husband, of course she bears the guilt of her adultery. But at the same time, he is responsible for it.

"To illustrate, suppose a young sailor disobeys his orders and runs a ship aground in the middle of the night. The captain and navigator were both asleep and had nothing to do with his irresponsible actions. Who is finally responsible? The captain and navigator are responsible for the incident. They are career officers, and their careers are ruined. The young sailor was getting out of the Navy in six months anyway. It may strike many as being unfair, but it is indisputably the way God made the world. The sailor is guilty; the captain is responsible.

"Without this understanding of responsibility, authority becomes meaningless and tyrannical. Husbands are responsible for their wives. They are the head of their wives as Christ is the head of the church. Taking a covenant oath to become a husband involves assuming responsibility for that home. That means that men, whether through tyranny or abdication, are responsible for any problems in the home."

A little later in the book, speaking of biblical duties of wives and husbands, he says:

"Not only is he [husband] responsible before God to do his job, he is responsible before God to see that she [wife] does hers. And of course, this is not done by bossing her around. It is done through nourishing and cherishing her."

I really appreciated this concept of men being responsible for everything. I especially related to the example of responsibility in the military (he's exactly right).

Thoughts?

16 Comments:

At 5/14/2006 11:00 PM, Blogger Jordan said...

It is cute when Katie sits like that but if you did it it would look gay. For that reason, I'm asking you to take a picture of yourself sitting the way she is and post it here on your blog "...BLOG!"

Also, I am honored beyond the descriptive power of our language by the fact that your link selection would consist of me, the navy, and the navy. This is the perfect set of links and it is all that is necessary to a long and happy life.

Finally, thank you for the nod about not wanting to be married. Although, I think the sentence would be more accurate if you used the word "expectation" instead of the word "desire".

I love you and your blog.

 
At 5/14/2006 11:05 PM, Blogger Chris Hill said...

I have fixed the sentence to be more accurate. I am honored that you post so much on my blog. I'm making you an official member of the Chris Hill Fan Club. Thanks, friend.

 
At 5/15/2006 10:49 AM, Blogger chen said...

I had always thought the accent was on the second e, and the word seems french...since you hate the french, I think you should come up with a different word for fiancee.

 
At 5/15/2006 2:49 PM, Blogger Chris Hill said...

I actually know more French than any other language. I do appreciate the language. A hatred for French attitudes and political activities has little to do with a love of the language and some of the cultural heritage. Thus, je parle l'francais mais je n'aime pas France.

(I apologize for any incorrect use of the language. I don't really speak it very well.)

 
At 5/16/2006 12:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

nice picture. you two are cute!

can a man say that with an exclamation point...or is that wierd?

you look nice.

Welcome to the blogosphere, btw.

 
At 5/16/2006 11:17 AM, Blogger Chris Hill said...

I think under the right circumstances a man can use that type of language, although I think it to be a rare exception. I think the major prerequisite is that it must be refering to a female, a child, or an animal. Thus your usage was appropriate here due to Katie being a female and me being an animal.

 
At 5/17/2006 2:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good thoughts, Chris.

Well, actually: good thoughts, various authors of books.

But, you agree... so: Good thoughts, Chris.

PS. I am jealous that Katie always looks so cute, every single day. I must learn her secrets.

 
At 5/17/2006 2:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Also, Brett:

I think that an exclamation point is in the eye of the beholder. If the man saying it is a feeler, artistic, or "metro", he can add exclamation points to things without sounding at all gay (to women).

However, a thinker or "man's man" type of guy can only use an exclamaiton point if someone's about to get hit by a bus or something. In all other cases, the listener will asume that he's making fun of the first type of guy, a gay guy, or a girl. Or, if they think he's being serious, they develope grave concernes about him.

I just made all of that up.

 
At 5/17/2006 3:36 PM, Blogger Chris Hill said...

Laura,

I think your analysis of the exclamation point is well thought out. I appreciate your thoughts. I think the context of the exclamation is vital. Thus, Brett had concerns with the cute-exclamation combination, but I understood what he meant by knowing who he is.

As a comparison, if Jordan wrote that I would know he was trying to be funny, at which point I would laugh and then try to say something whimsical (sp?) back. Perhaps this deserves a blog entry... ah, the wonders of writing thoughts online.

 
At 5/17/2006 4:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! So...does that make me the thinker, "man's man" type or the feeler, metro, artistic type?

then again...maybe I don't want to know...can an artistic person wear army boots?

 
At 5/17/2006 5:52 PM, Blogger Chris Hill said...

Brett,

Being an Army man negates the possibility of either "metro" or "gay," and perhaps even "artistic" (not that you can't be, but that the stereotype of an artistic man doesn't fit an Army person) and leans more towards the "man's man" side. You also went to Seminary, which makes you a thinker. Despite your use of the cute-exclamation combo, you did give a disclaimer, so that means you are still within this realm.

However, the intial use of it indicates that you may be a mix. I would say that perhaps, in addition to being a man's man and a thinker, you are a male feeler (note: already said "not gay," so no, that's not what I mean).

Feelers are good cause they serve as translators between the feminine and masculine worlds. They help the rest of men understand why women feel certain ways, and they are able to explain to women what men think without simultaneously offending them.

Thus, I believe you to be part-feeler and a vital part of our society.

- Chris

 
At 5/17/2006 6:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So therefore, would a woman thinker also be considered a link between men thinkers and women feelers?

 
At 5/17/2006 6:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brett - I've always thought of you as a smart, artistic feeler. Though, I don't know you that well. Perhaps that's just the vibe you give off.

And yes, you can wear Army boots. You just can't wear jeans with duct tape on them.

 
At 5/17/2006 6:16 PM, Blogger Chris Hill said...

Laura,

Yes, I think that would be true. The male feeler is men's ambassador to the feminine world, and the female thinker is women's ambassador to the masculine world, and those who wear duct tape on their pants should buy new pants.

- Chris

 
At 5/17/2006 11:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Chris and Laura, your perceptivity is astounding.

 
At 5/18/2006 11:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brett,

Ah... there was no exclamation point! Was that sarcastic?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home