Monday, November 06, 2006

Random stuff, Election, Saddam, Life

So there were a ton of things I wanted to write about in some sort of witty way, but I never got around to it, so I'll include everything briefly here.

1. Saddam was sentenced to death. I think this is pretty sweet, and a blessing from God. Unfortunately, Kofi Anon and others are opposing the death penalty for Saddam. I think this is really gay. He should die by public hanging.

2. The election is tomorrow. My wife and I had to vote absentee. Being in the military, we can keep our Minnesota residency without paying state income taxes, so we did. I want to keep voting in Minnesota. Anyway, we had to pay about $50 to get our ballots in on time (had to pay overnight rate, even though we dropped them off on Saturday).

3. I had to do a lot of research to find the candidates I really wanted to vote for. Star Tribune's My Vote is a really good resource to find info about all the candidates that will be on your ballot. I vote in SE Eden Prairie, so I voted as follows (in order on Star Tribune version of ballot):

    - Senate: Mark Kennedy
    - Governor: Tim Pawlenty
    - Attorney General: Jeff Johnson
    - Sec. of State: Mary Kiffmeyer
    - Auditor: Patricia Anderson
    - Appeals Court Seat 11: Christopher Dietzen
    - Transportation Amendment: No
    - US House: Jim Ramstad (I actually voted for him this year, partially due to his opponent, and partially due to no other competitor)
    - Minn. Senate: David Hann
    - Minn. House: Erik Paulsen
    - 4th District Court Seat 44: Dee Rowe
    - 4th District Court Seat 48: No vote (didn't know candidates enough)
    - Hennepin Cnty Attorney: Mike Luger
    - Hennepin Cnty Sheriff: Rich Stanek
    - Soil and Water Supervisor Seat 2: Ernest K Lehmann
    - Soil and Water Supervisor Seat 4: Ryan Wilson
    - 3 Rivers Park Park Commissioner: Terry Lee Carr
    - EP Mayor: Phil Young
    - EP City counsel Members (2): Jon Duckstad, Gary Stevens
I didn't vote for any of the uncontested races, which were mostly (if not all) judges. There was only one contested race I didn't vote in because I couldn't find enough information on the candidates.

4. I voted NO on the transportation amendment. It increases funds for public transportation 100 fold, while guaranteeing little (if any) increase to roads, which will inevitably lead to a tax increase. Here is some more info.

5. Some dude running for Soil and Water Supervisor Seat 2 has this for his "Most Important Issues":
Fighting for the environment; resisting war and military madness; fighting for an independent media; fighting the Patriot Act and government invasion of privacy and consensual and individual rights; election reform, instant runoff voting and breaking two-party duopoly; single-payer health care; nationalize banks, utilities, transportation and all energy sources.
Kind of weird, especially regarding the position he's running for, except that his complete background info to show he is capable for this job is:
Activist/organizer in independent politics, drug reform, peace and justice, freedom movements, gay, civil liberties; associate publisher of Pulse; AIDS service activist.
Ohhhhh, I get it now.

6. I just got a really cool printer/copier/faxer (but won't use fax). It's the HP Photosmart C6180. It prints photos just as good as Walmart, and pretty fast too.

7. The MN Daily printed one of the gayest things I've read in awhile, and it had nothing to do with sexual preference. You seriously have to read this. Check it out here.

10 Comments:

At 11/07/2006 7:25 AM, Blogger Jordan said...

"the students gathered in the Al-Madinah Cultural Center in Coffman Union to discuss their feelings about the hate crime"

Wow...that is really gay. You weren't kidding. I think when America eventually falls it will be because of people like this, who sit around and talk about their feelings while remaining utterly clueless about reality.

Thanks for taking the time and money to vote.

 
At 11/07/2006 9:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

America won't fall if good people get out and vote! Again, those voting Democrat vote tomorrow, Wednesday, November 8, this year.

Jed

 
At 11/07/2006 9:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"We could be a type of (United Nations) of people versus hate crimes."

Uh.......huh........

That is a pretty funny article. It's a joke, right? ...right?

 
At 11/07/2006 10:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Finally - an elite force or super heros bent on obliterating graffiti!

 
At 11/07/2006 11:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Also - yeah, that transportation amendmentis a crock. I don't know the exact numbers, but we get soemthing like over 150% return on road projects to the state, but public transportation loses money every time. I think we only get 42% back on that.

 
At 11/07/2006 12:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I voted no on the road ammendment. I talked with my liberal neighbor the other day;
and even he was going to vote no. His point was that even though he's
pro-public transit, it's the legislature's job to solve these problems.
Putting out the voters is them being too afraid to take a stand on a tough
issue and run on their record. I consider voting "no" as a way of saying,
its your job so take reponsibility and do it. Plus, aren't Constitutional
Ammendments supposed to be reserved for major things, like the definition of
marrage? Seems ultra hypocritacal that the libs would be against an
ammendment for that, but then put an ammendment (along with the republicans)
on the ticket about how much to budget for road construction.
Damn.

 
At 11/07/2006 12:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Damn, what I just wrote sounds good. Can I get an "Amen!"?

 
At 11/07/2006 2:09 PM, Blogger Chris Hill said...

I'll give you a damn amen. Amen!

 
At 11/07/2006 9:13 PM, Blogger Chris Hill said...

The news media is projecting races to lean much more Democrat (Santorum [sp?], etc.). MSNBC just gave the MN Senate race to Klobochar (or however you spell it). My prediction is that they will be wrong on how liberal the media is predicting. We'll see (and pray)...

 
At 11/08/2006 10:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know, I don't really mind AK. She just needs to get an opinion on immigration.

I'm just glad that Timmy won! :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home