Thursday, October 19, 2006

Battle Hymn of the Republic (Julie W. Howe)

This is one of my most favorite songs of all time. Think of singing it while fighting to free the slaves.

Mine eyes have seen the glory of the coming of the Lord;
He is trampling out the vintage where the grapes of wrath are stored;
He hath loosed the fateful lightning of His terrible swift sword;
His truth is marching on.
Glory! Glory! Hallelujah!
Glory! Glory! Hallelujah!
Glory! Glory! Hallelujah!
His truth is marching on.

I have seen Him in the watch fires of a hundred circling camps;
They have builded Him an altar in the evening dews and damps;
I can read His righteous sentence by the dim and flaring lamps;
His day is marching on.
Glory! Glory! Hallelujah!
Glory! Glory! Hallelujah!
Glory! Glory! Hallelujah!
His day is marching on.


I have read a fiery Gospel writ in burnished rows of steel;
"As ye deal with My contemners, so with you My grace shall deal";
Let the Hero, born of woman, crush the serpent with His heel,
Since God is marching on.
Glory! Glory! Hallelujah!
Glory! Glory! Hallelujah!
Glory! Glory! Hallelujah!
Since God is marching on.

He has sounded forth the trumpet that shall never call retreat;
He is sifting out the hearts of men before His judgment seat;
Oh, be swift, my soul, to answer Him! be jubilant, my feet;
Our God is marching on.
Glory! Glory! Hallelujah!
Glory! Glory! Hallelujah!
Glory! Glory! Hallelujah!
Our God is marching on.

In the beauty of the lilies Christ was born across the sea,
With a glory in His bosom that transfigures you and me:
As He died to make men holy, let us die to make men free;
While God is marching on.
Glory! Glory! Hallelujah!
Glory! Glory! Hallelujah!
Glory! Glory! Hallelujah!
While God is marching on.

He is coming like the glory of the morning on the wave,
He is wisdom to the mighty, He is honor to the brave;
So the world shall be His footstool, and the soul of wrong His slave,
Our God is marching on.
Glory! Glory! Hallelujah!
Glory! Glory! Hallelujah!
Glory! Glory! Hallelujah!
Our God is marching on.

11 Comments:

At 10/19/2006 3:45 PM, Blogger Chris Hill said...

I got the text here:

http://www.cyberhymnal.org/htm/b/h/bhymnotr.htm

They have the music if you want to sing along :).

 
At 10/19/2006 3:46 PM, Blogger Chris Hill said...

Man! It just makes me want to stick my bayonette in one of those southerners. Now where could I find one...

Hahaha, ok I'm not going to really kill my neighbors.

 
At 10/19/2006 4:16 PM, Blogger Chris Hill said...

I got really excited when I came back to my blog and noticed that 2 comments were made on this post. I forgot that they were both mine...

 
At 10/19/2006 5:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your randomness surprises even me at times.

 
At 10/19/2006 5:38 PM, Blogger Chris Hill said...

About the difference in posts or my comments on them?

This is what happens when they keep canceling my flights because of weather. I yearn to train...

 
At 10/19/2006 8:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You poor thing, getting paid to do nothing. I can't imagine just how hard that must be for you...

Have you tried reading, I have heard those book things have some interesting stuff inside? Haha, good luck getting over the boredom, I don't remember the last time I was lucky enough to be bored.

 
At 10/20/2006 8:55 PM, Blogger Chris Hill said...

Actually I have been reading a lot. For books, I've been reading Pascal's Pensees mostly. Also, I've been reading a lot of the bible, and have been participating a lot in discussions on different blogs. Basically all I do is read right now.

They're making IFS (the civilian flight training I'm in right now) more strict, but in a gay sort of way. We have to go muster every morning (a 30 min. drive each way for me) if we don't have a flight just to prove we're still here. My flights have all been weather cancelations, though, so I wouldn't have to go anyway. Regardless, it sucks when the only thing stopping your training is large masses of air and moisture at the wrong mixture, temperature and pressure.

 
At 10/23/2006 1:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, that would qualify as much suck. I know you know I was kidding about the reading, but since we're listing what we've been reading, I am reading "We were soldiers, Once, and Young" and my Dad just gave me "365 Days" which I'll read after I'm done with "We were..."

Stupid air masses...

 
At 10/24/2006 3:10 AM, Blogger Anonymous said...

Interesting coincidences surrounding this song:

Juliette ward howe published her lyrics to this song in the atlantic monthly in 1862 after overhearing some union soldiers sing it. She thought they were singing it in homage to John Brown of Harper's Ferry fame, but they were actually singing it to mock a fellow soldier who happened to have the same name as the more famouse john Brown (hence the line "John Brown's body lies a-mouldering in the grave; His soul's marching on!"

John Brown was captured and executed after his raid on Harpers Ferry.

Then Union General Robert E. Lee led the troops that put down his revolt and executed him. Additionally, John Wilkes Booth preteneded to be a Union Soldier to sneak in and witness the execution.

Back in 1837, John brown was a failed businessman who had 20 kids to feed and was flat broke when he made a public vow before God to personally put an end to slavery at a funeral for a slain aboltionist leader. (Imagine somebody today vowing publically to personally end all abortion! thats about how ridiculous the proclamation must have sounded at the time.) However years later, the general that executed him, Robert E. Lee, surrendered to the army that marched to the words "John Brown's body lies a-mouldering in the grave; His soul's marching on!" And slavery was finnished, which makes you wonder how much of that would have ever happened if john Brown never stirred things up, or made his vow in 1837.

also, The funeral that Brown made his vow at in 1837 was for a man named Owen Lovejoy who ran an abolitionist newspaper with his brother in Illinois before he was lynched and killed by a pro-slavery mob. His brother who watched him die later went on into politics and befriended a man named Abe Licoln, whom he later pushed to run for higher office. Lincoln of course was later killed by Booth.

Thats just one of a dozen odd coincidences surrounding this, I wrote a larger blog entry detailing others here:
http://tommunism.blogspot.com/2006/02/oodles-of-irony.html

 
At 10/24/2006 8:16 PM, Blogger Chris Hill said...

Wow, that's pretty interesting. The link I cited states that only the music was taken from the song about John Brown, not the lyrics. What was the connection with Booth? I don't think he was an abolitionist, if memory serves me correctly.

 
At 10/24/2006 9:58 PM, Blogger Chris Hill said...

Ok, I actually read the link. I recommend it for anyone else here - good details. I guess Booth was just interested in seeing the hanging because of the publicity.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home