Monday, October 09, 2006

Damn Yankee

I often say that, while I like living in Pensacola a whole lot more than I did in Ohio, I liked the people of Ohio a lot more. This has forced me to do some thinking the last few months as to why people down here in LA (Lower Alabama - if this isn't funny, look on a map and/or come experience the culture here) bother me so. I have come to determine that the underlying factor is situational awareness.

People in LA have no SA. This is most apparent when one gets in a car. From driving abreast at the same speed, to not paying attention to lights, to not changing lanes out of courtesy when one is trying to merge, to generally being confused as to what is going on around them, LA drivers are horrible. I would even say they're worse than Minnesota drivers, but that's only because Minn. drivers have to drive in winter (and they do an ok job then).

SA also affects the ability for LAns to follow simple tasks, such as food orders. The other day I was at a Hardees and made an apparently very complicated order: 1 Thickburger, 1 Lg Fry, 1 Ice Water. No special instructions, no long list, no long line in the drive through, nothing that was ambiguous or hard. The order was even repeated back and was correct on my receipt. However, upon getting home, I realized they had given me some special-order burger with twice the meat and no toppings. I love toppings. The funny thing is that I wasn't surprised that they screwed up. This is just one example of something that happens frequently in LA: probably 50-75% of the time simple orders are screwed up. I've pointed to items on menus as I read them and still received the wrong food. I've received quesadillas with half of them being just 2 tortilla shells with nothing inside. Eating out in Pensacola requires extra SA on behalf of the customer, cause your order's probably wrong.

Another common problem I encounter, which is a result of a lifetime of no SA, is people who are condescending in that they think they're smarter than me because they can't understand my question, and thus think it's a dumb question. This happens frequently at stores. I'll ask a question about something I'm looking for, and I'll get this dumb look that says, "that's a really stupid question," and then a response that had absolutely nothing to do with my question. I try explaining it in different ways with the same response. It wouldn't be so bad, except that the response given is often quite condescending. I know it isn't me, though, because I didn't have this problem in Minnesota or Ohio. Perhaps they become condescending because of my northern accent and overall northerniness.

Which makes me think that maybe all these problems are because I'm a Damn Yankee. Apparently, my grandparents had a debate as to whether this was one word or two. My grandma (from the south), said it was one, but I'm sticking with my northern grandpa and keeping it two. I just don't fit in down in LA. I'm from the north, and will always be. They say people in the south are friendly, charming, and nice. I guess there are some. But there were plenty of friendly people in Ohio too - more so, actually. They also say people in the south are dumb. They might be right. At least they don't have any SA, which makes one pragmatically dumb, if not truly dumb. Regardless, I'm a Damn Yankee, and my state fought to free the slaves. Of that I can be proud.

4 Comments:

At 10/09/2006 8:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

As added emphasis to what Christopher wrote, he is not the only one experiencing Florida's lack of SA. I’m finishing up beauty school down here and have had many similar experiences. For example, during my first week of school one of my classmates asked me where I was from. When I told her I was from Minnesota she looked confused and asked where it was located in the United States. I was a bit taken back by her ignorance but wanted to be nice so I told her it was in the Northern part. With complete seriousness she responded with, "Oh! So it's kinda by New York?" .....

The worst part is that it isn’t just my classmates that lack SA. I actually had a client the other day that was sitting waiting for a color to process and out of NO WHERE she blurts out, “Is pot still illegal?” Okay, now let me explain something else. The Cosmetology building is not big. There were about 4 other students and clients RIGHT next to us and she didn’t even try to say it quietly. I guess the question was just directed to anyone who wanted to answer.
Interesting, huh?

 
At 10/10/2006 1:12 AM, Blogger Jordan said...

Wow.... I'm glad you two at least have each other to provide consolation. Lack of SA is very annoying for those of us who usually exhibit SA. From what I could tell of my time in Pensacola, I definitely agree there is more SA up here. One thing that I hate about minnesota though is the passive aggressives. I was extremely angry at some PA people today. That's one thing I look forward to in Boston: at least they say what they think, even if I think what they think is stupid. I can't stand people who lead you to believe one thing and then do something else behind your back. I'm getting angry just thinking about it....asdflksd; Chris, thanks for having a blog that I can rage on. I feel more free to do that here than on my own, just because my own is mine and I can't look crazy. Is it ok for me to look crazy on yours?

 
At 10/10/2006 1:37 PM, Blogger Chris Hill said...

Jordan,

Yes. I think other blogs are for crazy rants, whereas ones own blog is for rational discussion (although emotion is allowed, it must be explained somewhat calmly). I've used your blog similarly at times.

Here's another story: I was picking up my watch today at a repair place in the mall, and there was a lady in front of me who was really excited about this ring she had bought. She was asking how much it was worth, to which the guy responded, "hmmm... cubic zirconia... sterling silver with 18k gold coloring... rock is kind of loose... I hope you didn't pay more than 2 or 3 dollars for it." She responded, "I actually paid $1. It's so beautiful, though." The funny thing is that she thought she bought a $1 ring that was worth real value. Somehow she thought she got a really good deal.

Anyway, the whole experience made me laugh inside.

 
At 10/11/2006 8:32 PM, Blogger Jordan said...

I found your last comment really funny

 

Post a Comment

<< Home