Thursday, September 28, 2006

Check Your Lettuce

Do you ever get really excited about making some food, then start to make it only to realize you don't have everything or something you do have is bad?

Well I haven't. At least not recently. That's because my wife makes my food. I did have something happen tonight that made me upset at the world, though. I didn't curse God and die, nor did my wife suggest such a thing, but I certainly cursed the quality of produce that is sold along the Gulf Coast of Florida.

See, what happened was that she made me a BLT. I love BLT's, especially the B part. I helped her cook the B, though, because she doesn't know how to cook it very well (men know how to cook red meat better just naturally I think). Anyway, after compiling the said sandwich components into one beautiful piece of art, I took a delicious bite with glee... only to find out that the lettuce tasted like... oh... how do you say... crap! Our lettuce, bought within the last few days, was bad! This made me angry to no end. After punching a hole in the wall and killing a homeless guy, I calmed down, took the lettuce out, and enjoyed my BT. My wife was quite helpful in calming me down, and the sandwich itself wasn't too bad. I did learn a lesson, though. The whole endeavor has taught me to, as the old wise saying goes, check your lettuce before you make your BLT.

10 Comments:

At 9/29/2006 11:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sorry to hear that your BLT wasn't all that you were hoping it to be.

Maybe this will help cheer you up.

 
At 9/29/2006 5:18 PM, Blogger renee said...

1. i demand that you rescind your disagreement with my statement "rabid partisanship is stupid" before any advice will be dispersed. rabid partisanship IS stupid.

you also must be more specific: red? white? domestic? foreign? dry? fruity? i have a few specific favorites in each category and certainly would throw a couple of chiantis your way if that's your bowl of soup... er... cup of tea... er... whatever.

in general, these days, i've been drinking bourbon instead. a little knob creek on the rocks makes any evening a little lighter :-)

(and, for the record, the other smiley face was KEVIN's, not mine)

 
At 9/29/2006 6:38 PM, Blogger Sam said...

At least it wasn't a Gay BLT.

 
At 9/29/2006 11:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know I'll always find a strange discussion taking place on Chris' blog.

Jed

 
At 9/30/2006 1:12 AM, Blogger Chris Hill said...

Sam,

It was what I call an antigay BLT. Those are the only kinds my wife makes. These BLT's are literally AS FAR AS POSSIBLE from gay BLT's. They're my favorite kind.

Renee,

I personally like sweet red wines (i.e., Merlot... I'm not particular, though). I like it when it's smooth without any alcohol aftertaste (would this be "fruity"?). Katie likes sweet white ones. Sorry, I really don't know a whole lot so I can't give you a lot of specifics for what I like. I just know you know a lot about them, so tell me what to buy and I probably will.

Yes, rabid partisanship is stupid. I only disagreed because you're a liberal. Also, Kevin's "smiley" was actually a tongue sticking out.

Jed,

I've recently left my really serious stuff for debating people on other blogs (http://www.beliefnet.com/blogs/godspolitics/)

Stephen,

That was awesome.

 
At 10/01/2006 9:43 PM, Blogger renee said...

my favorite white dessert wine is moscato d'asti - just look for a producer that has the DOCG sticker wrapped over the cork or around the neck of the bottle - that means it's legitimately from both the type of grape and growing region that the type of wine is from. that wine is actually lightly carbonated - kind of an italian champagne.

and as far as reds, i've been on a pinot noir kick recently - i don't have a specific producer for that one, but it's generally pretty smooth and doesn't have an aftertaste.

 
At 10/01/2006 9:48 PM, Blogger renee said...

AND, i know this isn't your question, but i really like this new beer: it's an austrian import called "Gosser" - very dark, goes down easy.... delish...

 
At 10/01/2006 10:48 PM, Blogger Chris Hill said...

I like the amber beers best, but am not a huge fan of the really darker ones (such as Guinness). Do you think it's worth trying? Where would you get it?

I think I had a pinot noir the other night that was really good. I remember you talking about the DOCG symbol. Can you recommend any brand, or are they all pretty much the same?

Lastly, can you find these wines at most liquor stores, or do you have to find specialty wine shops or what? Thanks for the help.

 
At 10/03/2006 11:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well I'm going to add my wine sense in cause I know there is one I've had w/Katie that she liked and is one of my favorites (oh and it's pretty cheap ~ $9 a bottle) Chateau St. Michelle Riesling. A little more on the fruity side and it's not too dry. I'm not into red so I can't recommend on that. I echo Renee on the moscato d'asti...it's good stuff, but pretty sweet. I've found both wines at liquor stores but sometimes wine shops are easier to find them in. Good luck!

 
At 10/04/2006 2:02 PM, Blogger Chris Hill said...

Thanks, Emily.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home