Saturday, January 20, 2007

I predict Bears vs. Colts in Super Bowl

So I may eat my words, but I'm predicting/hoping the Bears and Colts will be in this year's Super Bowl (added early afternoon, Jan. 21: Not to brag... well, actually I am bragging here - I predicted the Bears and Colts in the Super Bowl during week 4 or 5 or so of the season). Here's a quick list of reasons why I like these teams versus the others:

1. The Patriots have already won a bunch and there's little excitement in another Patriot Super Bowl run.

2. The Patriots are from Massachusetts, one of the most liberal states - they even have gay marriage there. Also, New England culture sucks. They are arrogant, left wing, self-righteous prudes.

3. The Colts have a great coach in Tony Dungy. He played (and I believe coached a bit) for the Univ. of Minn., coached for the Vikings, is a committed Christian, and a great manager of the game.

4. Indianapolis is a city of nice people in a good part of the country. The culture is one of genuine, conservative, hard working Americans who actually know how to drive. I lived near there in Dayton, too.

5. Peyton Manning is a phenomenal player and has deserved a Super Bowl shot for the last couple years. It would be great to see him there.

6. The Saints are from New Orleans. New Orleans is a "wretched hive of scum and villainy," in the words of one Obi-Won Kenobi. It deserved to be flooded, and they don't deserve to go to the Super Bowl. (Otherwise, I have nothing against the Saints - actually rooted for them during last week's game... well, that was more anti-Eagles rooting, but still...).

7. The Bears are from the NFC North (as are the Vikings), and as such, get "home field advantage" in my preferences.

8. The Bears have turned around from being an awful team to a really good one in just a few years. I like watching them.

9. The Bears have a good defense that helps them win, which is a sign of a solid team. That's a point in my book.

Here's to a few good games tomorrow!

Added: I changed the title so that it's clear that I was predicting these two teams prior to the games, versus just talking about the teams that won.

3 Comments:

At 1/21/2007 12:54 AM, Blogger Jordan said...

I agree with everything you wrote and for the same reasons you gave. I am not sure how much of that is because I would have naturally come to the same conclusions and how much of that is because I have unintentionally absorbed your football philosophy from hearing you talk football in the past. Also, if the Patriots lose then people are sad at work. It is funny when they are sad about sports.

 
At 1/21/2007 10:39 PM, Blogger Chris Hill said...

Well, not to brag again... but... I was right.

 
At 1/24/2007 10:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, I've found myself hating the Saints for the very reason that they come from New Orleans. I just have no respect for the people there because of their conduct, because they blamed the government for not protecting them when it was clearly the job of the local government (who failed), and because they re-elected those same local officials. Is that bad? Plus, if they had won, I'd have forever more said that the NFL was fixed.

Also, GO BEARS! I've liked them since the GB/Bears rivalry in the 80's. Although I am every loyal to by beloved Packers, the Bears have a similar feel to them, and not much (if any) thuggery. They are a team I respect.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home